Inwelle Centre community involvement is a major focus for 2013-2014 Programme Years. Our satellite centre programme which started August 2011 Is being expanded to include more communities.The bold idea behind the establishment of Inwelle Satellite Resource Centre is to create a Youth-Helping-Youth (YHY) club that will be run by out of school girls who are taking entrance exams into higher institutions and for senior secondary school (SSS) youths aged 14 – 18, under the supervision of ethical competent retired educators in the community. We hope to tap into the cultural practice of grandparents babysitting younger ones in order to re-orient the youths in towns in the hinterlands nationwide, into channeling their energy positively and shunning gang activities. These youths will assist struggling indigent teens to succeed academically too. Traditional ethics of communal help in the culture demands that villagers help each other in projects such as building their houses or weeding their farms. This project seeks to harness the traditional ethics of communal help to tackle the dearth of reading materials and the lack of interest in reading exhibited by today’s youths in the villages. Youths need external means of developing their curiosity and imagination. Youths in the hinterlands lack this means. These youths are energetic. They are hit by lack of books. They need to broaden the scope of their understanding and aspiration beyond their immediate vicinity. They need to build their self-esteem, to feel that they are helping to save the world. Their zeal which has not been tapped into is constantly negated by their attraction to gang activities as an avenue for expending their excess energy. A strong motivation behind this project is the bold idea that once these youths are given the mission to make the world around them a better place, they are capable of coming up with the vision to realize and even expand that mission. Also, the retired people in the village who most often feel irrelevant will have the avenue for continuing to pass on their wisdom. It is common knowledge that children often rebel from parents. However, a great bond exists between children and grandparents. This bond will ensure the success of this type of project that marries the two generations and put them into action.
Specifications for Partnership:
- Community involvement leading to sustainability and self-sufficiency
- Outline of programme of Activities that reflect Inwelle Centre vision and mission
- Commitment to sending annual report to Inwelle Centre, not later than February of the following year after a programme year
- Providing a room equipped with shelves and access to the internet
- Sending two or three youths to be trained at Inwelle Centre to learn how to run the satellite centre Commitment to paying stipends to the youths who run the centre.
- We hold a symposium in December (last Thursday before Christmas usually) to close the project year. Partnering communities are expected to bring all the youths trained in the year to attend this symposium as the youths receive certificates during this symposium. Also, we will appreciate if a resource can come from each community to deliver a paper at the symposium. For 2013, our symposium topic is
Everybody is allowed to use the facility; however, in order to maintain the integrity of the programme, we need to stress the fact that the satellite centre will be run by girls. Also, we need to stress that the centre must engage fully with the main Inwelle Centre in attending symposium, computer training, workshops, and seminars. We will require quarterly report from the centre with pictures of educational activities, record of the traffic to the library. On our own part, we will start the centre with one thousand (1000) books, two computers, and a camera to record their activities and train the girls that will run the centre at a boot camp to be held in August 2013. . We will also provide the centre with the requisite training for running the library. From time to time, as we gather resources, we will allocate some of these resources to the satellite centre (see our website www.inwellecentre.org or www.inwellecentre.org for our boot camp activities.