MAID STRONG: Sponsored by ViiV Healthcare, Positive Action for Girls and Women
Maid Strong is designed to address incidents of underage girls being placed in households as house helps and young girls having to engage in transactional sex for financial independence.
- to promote education as a pathway to financial independence
- to design a programme focused on reducing the burden the underage girl represents for the family
- reconcile the need for education with the underage girl’s requirement to contribute to the family income.
- to address the root cause of the sexual violence against young girls, specifically, underaged girls forced to engage in early age transactional sexual relationships.
- create community intervention and safety programs as a secondary solution
STRATEGY: Education as an Alternative to Work and Education Along with Work.